Sunday, November 16, 2008

Premonitions

When I was young my mother would say silly things like 'I had a premonition last night about your uncle so and so' and she would actually call uncle so and so to make sure he was all right. Even at 8 years old I knew this was foolishness and I have been comfortable all these years knowing that sort of thing was nonsense right up until yesterday.

Two nights ago I had a terrible dream where one of my sons who appeared to be about 5 years old or so was at the beach with myself and his mother. We were swimming and he got pulled under the water by the current. I tried frantically to save him but I couldn't find him; he was lost in the ocean. I woke around 5am and couldn't get back to sleep because it worried me so much. I called my youngest son who was vacationing in my condo on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale at the time and warned him and his girlfriend several times not to swim in the ocean because of the rip tides.

Later I opened my email and learned my nephew had been in a motorcycle accident and was in critical condition in the hospital. It was not clear he would survive and if he did he most probably would be paralyzed from the neck down. Later that evening my second youngest son was in jail for domestic battery as he had downed about 10 shots of vodka when he saw a picture of his cousin in a coma in the hospital and I guess he decided to take it out on his girlfriend. In an instant both my son and nephew had been taken from me but what is so unsettling is the premonition I had the night before and how crazy my mother was for believing in that crap.

No comments: