Thursday, May 13, 2021

Erosion of Rights or Natural Balance?

When I was young my mother thought it would be a good idea if I memorized my social security number so a campaign was launched to do just that which eventually I did.

I recall at the time being fascinated at this concept. What was this social security number, how did I get one, did everybody have one and other thoughts crossed my mind. I learned every one's was unique. I naturally assumed it would be used to uniquely identify you, however, I also learned the prevailing belief at the time was that it was an anti-American imposition for the government (or anyone for that matter) to do so.

Americans it seems don't think it is a good thing that the government can uniquely identify them using a number. I have heard friends argue that it used to be illegal to use a person's social security number to identify them. I do not believe this to be true. There are several laws that do limit requirements to give out your social security number.

But I recall as a youngster being perplexed because it seemed logical to simply use someone's social security number to identify them, government or otherwise, yet here were people telling me this was an intrusion on my rights.

Over time I have watched in horror as my rights have been eroded more and more as the use of my social security number has become a statement of fact, not a questioned practice. I can't buy a car, apply for credit, get a government ID without my social security number.

And so here we are, right back to where my natural instincts led me. The use of your social security number to uniquely identify you is considered by most (if questioned by any) to be "just the way it is". So I wonder, is this an erosion of my rights or the realization of natural balance. 


 

No comments: